London Units after the Second World War (WW2)
- Virtually all the Territorial Army Battalions and units of other arms were disbanded or placed in suspended animation at the end of WW2. 2nd line units were disbanded and original units were reformed in 1947. However, further changes of arm took place on the reformation of the Territorial Army.
- Four infantry Battalions became anti-aircraft Regiments of the Royal Artillery. These were:
9th ( 2nd City of London) Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers (City of London)
5th (Hackney) Battalion, The Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales's)
9th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)[formerly 1st Battalion, Tower Hamlets Rifles]
7th (Southwark) Battalion, The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey)
- One unit transferred to the Royal Corps of Signals which was the Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment, The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own).
- The 9th and 10th Battalions of The King's Royal Rifle Corps, formerly the 12th London Regiment, (The Rangers) transferred to The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own).
- The Artists Rifles became a Special Air Service Regiment.
- All the Royal Artillery units were re-numbered.
- In 1947 the successors of The London Regiment stood as follows: Royal Armoured Corps:
1908 London Regiment Battalion2342nd Royal Tank RegimentRoyal Regiment of Artillery:4460th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (City of London)11461st (Middlesex) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment14497th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (London)11512th (Finsbury Rifles) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment6566th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (City of London Rifles)7, 8567th Searchlight Regiment ( 7th City of London)19568th (St Pancras) Searchlight Regiment20569th (The Queen's Own) Searchlight Regiment21570th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (First Surrey Rifles)3604th Searchlight Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)24622nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Queen's)2624th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)3625th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)10648th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Royal Berkshire)17656th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Rifle Brigade)Royal Corps of Signals:13Signal Reporting Regiment (Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment)2523rd (Southern) Corps Signal RegimentThe Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey):226th (Bermondsey) BattalionThe Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment):18th ( 1st City of London) BattalionThe King's Royal Rifle Corps:9Queen Victoria's Rifles15, 16The Queen's WestminstersThe Gordon Highlanders:14The London ScottishThe Royal Ulster Rifles:18The London Irish RiflesThe Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own):5London Rifle Brigade12The RangersSpecial Air Service Regiment:2821st Battalion (Artists Rifles)