Reorganisation of London Units 1961
- In 1961 there was a major reorganisation of the Territorial Army. In the paragraphs 65 to 70, 74 to 81 and 90, the numbers shown in brackets refer to the 1908 London Regiment Battalion.
- 565th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (6) had, in 1955, absorbed the 598th which was descended from 4th Queen's. This unit was now amalgamated with 5th Queen's and 6th Queen's (22) to form the 3rd Queen's Surreys. (The Queen's Surreys had been formed in 1959 by the amalgamation of the regular Battalions of The Queen's and the East Surreys). In 1961, the 23rd London joined the 6th East Surreys to become 4th Queen's Surreys.
- Similarly, 571st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (3) had absorbed the 595th which was descended from the 9th Middlesex. This unit was now amalgamated with the 7th and 8th Middlesex to form the 5th Middlesex.
- 624th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (2), originally a Royal Fusilier unit, also left the Royal Artillery, and together with the 8th Royal Fusiliers (1) formed The City of London Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers.
- Of the remaining successors artillery units, the 265th (4, 7, 8, 20) absorbed the 570th (21, 24); and the other two – the 512th (11, 17, 19) and the 452nd (14) – were each amalgamated with other units and re-numbered.
- In the Royal Corps of Signals, the 2nd (London) Signal Regiment (25), which had been re-numbered 47th in 1960, amalgamated with the 40th (Middlesex Yeomanry) to become 47th Signal Regiment (Middlesex Yeomanry) in 1961.
- Finally, in The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Queen Victoria's Rifles (9) joined with The Queen's Westminsters (15, 16) to become the Queen's Royal Rifles.
- In 1961 the successors of The London Regiment stood as follows:
1908 London Regiment BattalionRoyal Regiment of Artillery:14254th (City of London) Field Regiment4, 7, 8, 20, 21, 24265th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment11, 17, 19300th Light Anti-Aircraft RegimentRoyal Corps of Signals:1341st Signal Regiment (Princess Louise's Kensington)2547th Signal Regiment (Middlesex Yeomanry)The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment:6, 223rd Battalion234th BattalionThe Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment):1, 2The City of London BattalionThe Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own):35th BattalionThe King's Royal Rifle Corps:9, 15, 16Queen's Royal RiflesThe Gordon Highlanders:14The London ScottishThe Royal Ulster Rifles:18London Irish RiflesThe Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own):5, 12London Rifle Brigade/Rangers2821st Special Air Service Regiment (The Artists Rifles)